Need some assistance navigating care teams? Call FCAV today

care team


Feeling disconnected from your agency? Not sure what to do next?


The Victorian Handbook for Foster carers is a great resource giving carers access to a great deal of information from Becoming a Foster Carer, Care Teams, to managing Quality of Care Processes.

All carers should have been given a copy of this.


It also has information regarding your relationships, with both your Agency and the DHHS. We hope that you as a carer feel that these relationships are both transparent and respectful, however there may be times when you do not feel this is the case and you are unsure what to do next.


We at FCAV recommend that you refer to your handbook which outlines a clear process when seeking resolution about an issue. We of course, are always here to discuss and assist you with managing your concerns, however it may also often helpful to refer to the manual for some guidance.


In summary, it recommends that:

  • As a first step, try to contact your agency case worker to discuss your concerns and to try to resolve day-to-day issues requiring urgent or immediate action.


  • If you cannot resolve the issue with your agency case worker, or you are uncomfortable having a discussion with them, contact your agency case worker’s line manager to try to achieve a resolution. Your agency is best placed to provide support and advice, and to resolve matters on your behalf. They will raise the issue with the department if required. In most instances, issues will be resolved with your agency without the need for further escalation.


  • Step 2 – Register a complaint with your agency. If your issue remains unresolved or you are unhappy about a service provided by your agency case worker or their line manager, you can register a complaint with your agency by following their complaints process. Your agency is required to provide you with a copy of its complaints policy, following your accreditation as a carer. If you haven’t received this, you should request a copy.



  • Step 3 - If your complaint relates to an unresolved issue arising from a department action or service you may register a complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services. You can submit a complaint to the Department’s Complaints and Privacy Unit.

    To do this you have several options. You may:

    - call 1300 884 706 or email or

    - write to Complaints and Privacy Unit GPO Box 4057 Melbourne VIC 3001.

    - complete and online complaint form at


    Alternatively, if you know your department divisional office, you can contact the Performance, Quality and Compliance Team in the department by sending an email to:






  • Step 4 – Register a complaint with the Victorian Ombudsman. The Victorian Ombudsman is an independent officer of the Victorian Parliament who investigates complaints about administrative actions taken by Victorian Government agencies and departments. Before contacting the Victorian Ombudsman, you should attempt to resolve your complaint with your agency and/or the department.

    To contact the Victorian Ombudsman:
    - call 03 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314 toll free (regional areas only)
    - complete an online complaint form at Make-a-Complaint or
    - write to Victorian Ombudsman Level 1 North Tower 459 Collins Street Melbourne VIC 3000.


The Commission for Children and Young People is not an official complaints or review body however they can provide information and assistance to people concerned about the safety and wellbeing of children and young people. To contact the Commission for Children and Young People:

- call 1300 78 29 78 (enquiry line), Monday to Friday 10 am to 4 pm


If you are an FCAV member, call the office and talk to one of the Carer Information Support Service team on 9416 4292.